Thursday 21 April 2016

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare ~FAN FAVOURITE~

So this was a risky endeavour to take on as the Mortal Instruments and it's prequel series, The Infernal Devices, are absolutely beloved by fans. Including me. However, today I promise to review from an unbiased perspective.
But, hang on a minute! Kat, where have you been? I'm glad you asked. Studying, my dears, studying. Philosophising and analysing linguistics, year 12 is taking my soul one relentless SAC at a time. But now, Kat's back in the reading game and it's time for a new review. Ah, it's good to be back.

So for those of you who have been living under a rock, let me break it down (possible pun?). The Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices explore the world of the Shadowhunters, half-angel half-human demon hunters who protect the mundane (human world). Through this book, Lady Midnight, we are introduced to a new series and therefore to new characters to fall in love with. 

The first book in the new Dark Artifices series, Lady Midnight, acquaints the readers with protagonist, Emma Carstairs. Whilst being extremely sassy and witty she can pack a punch too and is pretty deadly with her sword, Cortana. 

Now, being fairly experienced with Clare's past female protagonists I've gotta say that Emma stands out amongst the rest. I did like Clary (The Mortal Instruments) and Tessa (The Infernal Devices) but I found that it took them awhile to acquire the ability to stand on their own. They are portrayed as fairly independent at the start but if there's one girl who can certainly hold her own and doesn't really need anyone else, it's Emma. 

It's like Clare has taken the wit and steel of everyone's favourtie sarcastic bad boy, Jace (The Mortal Instruments) and put it into a female character which is actually quite refreshing. 

You may think that in comparison to Emma, some characters appear dull. That is a matter of opinion so I'm going to give you mine. And my opinion is...ABSOLUTELY NO WAY! All the other characters in this series are completely badass! Especially Mark... *sigh* sweet, tormented Mark who swings either way in terms of sexuality... don't worry I won't go there (even though I really want to).

If I can leave you with one final note on this novel without spoilers I will say that I was very impressed with Clare's exploration of things that weren't completely touched upon in the previous series. The deeper look into the partners-in-arms bond "parabatai" (http://shadowhunters.wikia.com/wiki/Parabatai - to shed a little light on the subject) was very refreshing but my favourite thing about this novel was the fairy side of it. For ages I have been curious about Clare's portrayal of the "Fair Folk" and in this new story we learn about the fairies, right from a character that was directly influenced by them (yes, that's Mark). It was a wonderful new experience to dive into one side of the world that had always been shrouded in mystery. This was a clever idea on the author's behalf, giving her readers the answers that they had wanted for so long. 

Okay just before I wrap it up, here's a question you might be wondering. Kat, can I begin this series if I haven't read the others? I have two answers for you.

1. No, because there are some things (and some characters) you just have to experience from the past series.
2. Yes, but only if you want to refer back to the wiki regularly.

So there you have it. Refer to the answers above for whether I recommend this novel or not. Happy reading!

Quote: "If my heart was a canvas, every square inch of it would be painted over with you."

4 out of 5 stars.

Everyone! Don't forget to give the With Wicked Words Facebook page a like and share it around! You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/withwickedwords/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment